Iridium is the only satellite communications company that offers truly global voice and data communications coverage. Iridium also provides service to subscribers from the U.S. Department of Defense, as well as other civil and government agencies around the world.
Design and create a very first interactive touchscreen experiences for Iridium Satellite: to showcase at various conferences, for the launch of new products and their groundbreaking new satellite services and possibly be used as an app for the sales and marketing team. Each touchscreen experience will be targeted to a specific sector and a separate general expansion will be an addition to the previous experience.
To research, design and develop a Homepage with cards, corresponding market sector navigation pages with specific cards for case studies and products, all products page, product details page, case study page with video or pdf pop-up.
Research and create; a secret area for salespeople to log in, integration of a marketing automation platform and an email marketing service like MailChimp.
Based on the Insights from the requirement gathering phase, I sketched and created user interface variations which were also in line with their brand’s design standards. Below, two images are the layouts presented. After further review, feedback, and additional user research came up with the third layout which is the mix of initial two layouts.
Reflection and Solution
Below is the iteration based on further research and client feedback.
1: White cards to make the screen look lighter and fresh.
2: Spread out cards to fill the full-width of the screen, as that is the focal point.
3: Larger images on the card for more visual impact.
4: Enough spacing between cards for easy selection, and access.
5: Full-width banner image for each sector home page.
6: ‘Home’ and ‘Back’ buttons for easy navigation.
7: White gradient overlay as the background for text on the banner sector for the text to stand out.
8: Dark text instead of white for legibility.
- Developed comprehensive interactive kiosks with information about the Iridium products and services.
- The touchscreens feature user-friendly navigation and clean and sophisticated design.
- Used at large industry events such as SATELLITE 2017/2018 in Washington DC, CommunicAsia 2017/2018 in Singapore, NBAA 2017 in Las Vegas, Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2017, San Francisco, CA.
- The touchscreens saved the company thousands of dollars as digital kiosks replaced printing of marketing brochures at the events.
- Touchscreens are also used on Surface tablets for business meetings and partner events.